Friday was my birthday. It was wonderful. I'd venture to say that it was my best (adult) birthday to date. The Flamingo party of 1990 is hard to beat.
It was wonderful because I have never felt so loved and understood, ever. I walked into work to find my cube decorated in pretty, pretty princess theme--complete with pink net canopy over my chair and pink silk flooring. I had cards and candy and Tinkerbell school supplies and a Hannah Montana poster in an antique frame. I knew who was responsible. My closest co-workers. My friends--my friends who took time out of their lives to make me feel, well, like a princess.
It was wonderful because I threw a party for myself and my closest, most reliable friends showed up because they knew it was important to me. They refused to let me down, even though putt-putt is not that fun and not everyone likes pie.
It was wonderful because my friends far, far away were thinking of me and calling me and wishing they were here to sweat their balls off playing putt-putt at night and eating pie.
It was wonderful because I knew that someone had my back. Someone was invested in me having a good time and made sure I was comfortable enough to let go and let it happen.
It was wonderful because friends drove 2+ hours to hang out for 4. It was wonderful because all my most faithful friends were in one place (spirit or otherwise) all getting along.
So what? I don't get it. Why is Alix all emotional because she has good friends? Because I haven't had good friends, I mean REALLY good friends. Friends who know what I really mean when I say "it's fine." Friends who know that I don't like beer and will only drink French 75's from a thermos. Friends who know that I worry about everyone else's good time before my own. Friends who know that I love princess stuff, even though I pretend like I don't.
Maybe this is what makes this birthday different. I feel a little different. I feel like a grown-up. I feel like I have a team. I didn't know it could feel this good. I didn't know this is how it could be.
Thank you to all my wonderful friends near and far. You are irreplaceable.
this warms my heart and gives me little tiny goosebumps. you are irreplaceable too, tiny al, and so so loved by so many people and I'm jealous of the people who live in TX a little but ITS FINE. you deserve to feel that loved and well cared for because you love and care for us really well too.
ReplyDeleteI love being on your team. And having you on mine.
xo