I made an excel spreadsheet at 4am to manage everything I need to get done in the next two weeks. I actually made a column that was titled, "Things to think about while driving". As I wrote these ridiculous words I realized that being this busy is A.) my own effing fault and B.) pretty dumb.
Perhaps some of you know that I like to be busy. If I'm bored for 2 seconds I start googling everything from books to read to pictures of cute animals and ways to make change happen faster. I am an information junkie. I thrive off knowing and doing. So, I took on too much. I've learned my lesson. Quality over quantity. Why am I realizing this today?
I stopped by Central Market to get dinner around 8:00. I walked in and went to the prepared food section. There were two pastas I liked. One was penne with goat cheese and tomatoes and stuff. The other was the same, but, with chicken.
I stood there. I held one in each hand. I put the one without chicken back. I walked away. I got 4 steps away and I changed my mind. I went back. I started thinking about the chickens I saw in Food Inc. Then I got worried I was going to waste away for not eating enough protein. I stood there, staring. A lady with short hair and a puka shell necklace nudged past me and got her Peanut Noodle Vindaloo Bowl with no hesitation.
Then, I started tearing up. My throat got tight. I got sweaty. My eyes filled with warm, wet tears. My exact thought was "Am I about to have a nervous breakdown in Central Market?"My second thought was "Is this a panic attack, I thought it would be more dramatic!?"
Don't worry. I didn't and it wasn't. But, I did realize that just like everything else, you can't hold stress in. You have to have a release valve. Sometimes, that valve gets opened up by a coworker asking what's wrong, or having some down time, or a tiny thing pushing you over the edge. Things like a chicken pasta bowl.
I now know my limits in an actual real way.
I got a creme brulee...and the pasta with the chicken.
It wasn't that good.
I consider myself an excellent release valve. good thing you are coming here!! I will be enforcing a strict no spreadsheets policy for the 72 hours you are here.
ReplyDelete