I think it was two summers ago. Maybe not. Who knows. I was at Barton Springs in ATX, watching all the hipsters and reformed hipster families mill around the 71 degree natural fed pool. I watched people lay on the grass in the sun, in love. And watched people in the shade, in love. I watched kids scrape their knees and their dads hold them. I kept count of bad tattoos and good tattoos and jort sightings.
There is a diving board that serves tiny children and grown up children. They all jump off and attempt (or succeed) at tricks. Everyone watches. It's fun and sad. And, since I can't dive, sort of maddening.
After some dude with a dragon tattoo jumped off the board and belly-flopped a little boy with shiny blond-white hair, wearing a life jacket, gingerly walked up the diving board stairs. He slowly, and carefully, walked to the edge of the of the diving board and immediately began to look terrified. He walked back and forth. Starting down the stairs, back to safety and changing his mind, walking to the edge again and becoming terrified all over again. His indecision went on for 3-5 minutes as 400 Barton Springs goers looked on, in suspense. His mom and dad grew more and more uncomfortable.
Someone started clapping. Then someone started yelling "Jump!" and before long, this little boy had 400 Austinites rooting him on. Clapping, whooping, and yelling encouraging things. Everyone knew how to encourage this kid that they didn't know. Everyone wanted him to overcome his terror and claim victory of the diving board. It was one of the only moments that I've felt that people are all the same and mostly good.
After more waffling, this now famous little boy decided he couldn't do it. It was too much. His mom picked him off the stairs and took him back to the safety of their family.
Of those 400 or so people at Barton Springs that day, everyone knew how to encourage and root for someone they don't even know. I wonder when, and how, and why this doesn't happen in real life. Why adults tear down other adults, why adults want other adults to fall and drown, or just have to back off the board. I wonder why you'd never see 400 Austinities cheering on an adult who is afraid to jump. Someone would probably call her/him a loser. Or a pussy. Or yell at them to get the F*** off the board.
Aren't we all just kids who got old?
Thursday, January 27, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I remember this. Those are some good questions, hermana.
ReplyDelete